Determination of HIV Status in Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Shanti Id Clinic Vadodara, Gujarat, India

From January 2013 to May 2020, the prospective study was conducted at the Shanti infectious diseases clinic in Vadodara, Gujarat, India, with the following goals:

  1. To determine the frequency of HIV infection among Shanti ID Clinic patients with sexually transmitted diseases. Vadodara is an Indian industrial city in south Gujarat, around 300 miles from Mumbai, on the boundary of Madhya Pradesh (MP) and Maharashtra.

2.To investigate the prevalence of sexually transmitted infections (S.T.I.) in Vadodara, Gujarat, India. S.T.I. can raise the risk of HIV infection in HIV-negative people as well as the risk of HIV transmission to others among HIV-positive people.

3.The study investigates how STIs may promote HIV transmission through sexual contact and how STIs may jeopardise our HIV preventive efforts. What can we do about it?

4.A substantial link exists between bacterial and viral sexually transmitted diseases and HIV infection acquisition and transmission.

Males were responsible for 317 (79.23%) of the 400 cases of sexually transmitted diseases, while females were responsible for 83. (20.75 percent ). The Elisa test was performed to screen for HIV, and a Western blot test validated the results. 300 cases (75.00%) occurred between the ages of 20 and 50, 34 cases (8.55%) occurred between the ages of 0 and 20, and 66 cases (916.25%) occurred after the age of 50. Out of 400 patients, 87 had syphilis (21.75 percent), 45 had cancroid (11.25 percent), 73 had gonorrhoea (18.25 percent), 110 had genital herpes (27.50 percent), and 11 had moll-scum contagiosum (2.75 percent). 44 cases of genital scabies (11%), 9 cases of CMV infection (2.755%), and 21 cases of lymphogranuloma venerium were reported (5.24 percent ). Out of 400 cases of sexually transmitted diseases, 67 cases (16.76%) tested positive for HIV, with 61 cases (91.04%) being HIV1 and the remaining 6 cases (8.96%) being HIV2. Despite the notion that there is a possible link between STIs and the risk of HIV infection, intervention research has been lacking. This does not rule out the possibility of a causal link, but additional research into the mechanisms of action, as well as the design and implementation of interventions, is required.

Author(S) Details

Narendra Kumar Chopra
Faculty of Medicine, SEGI University, Malaysia.

View Book:- https://stm.bookpi.org/NFMMR-V11/article/view/3701

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top